Food                      Fabric                    Paper                    Holidays                    Decorating                   Giving                     

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Countdown to Christmas

I love the Christmas season. Every year our family celebrates the upcoming Christmas holiday with advent calendars. We have several. I'd love to share them with you along with some other ways that you can count down the days to Christmas.

For those of you who do not know, I'll define advent. Advent (from the Latin word adventus, meaning "coming") celebrates the days leading up to the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. The calendar counts backwards (usually from 24 to 1) or, it fills in the 25 days of December until Christmas.

I made this first calendar for myself with a black cookie sheet, ribbons, scrapbook paper and lots of fun things from my craft box. The calendar starts off with a blank grid and then I put one of the magnetic numbers on every day.
The next calendar is my niece's. It is made of felt, buttons and glitter. Every day she takes a little roll of paper from a heart. She is given instructions for that day. Today she needs to do something special for someone. This next one is really fun. I was in an advent calendar swap. Each of us made 2 numbers and we swapped them. I made the cookie sheet background very similar to the first calendar. Next up is my mother's calendar. It has 24 little windows. In every window there is a magnetic character from the Christmas story and a piece of chocolate. It is fun to watch the scene be built throughout the month. Lastly, we have a fun "24 Chocolate Days 'til Christmas calendar that was given to my niece this year.

There are lots of other ways to countdown to Christmas. Here are a few I found on the internet:

How do you celebrate the days leading up to Christmas. Do you have a calendar or do you do special activities? I'd love to know (and see pictures.) Thank you again for allowing me to share my ideas with you.

3 comments:

Mary Duffek said...

I found your blog while blog surfing...great blog! Love all the advent calendars. I made one this year with a rustic/country feel and it incorporaties 25 mini cards and daily journaling from each family memember or one recorder of family comments. (Not to over involved with the journal...so we can stay committed to it.) It's a fun new way for us as a family to celebrate the birth of Jesus. (it's on my blog if you'd like to check it out.)
Loved all the extra idea's you gave at the end. Your moms advent is sooo cool and love the cookie sheet one. (I've seen many cookie sheet or muffin/cupcake pans for advents this year. too cool!)

Blessings and thanks for the inspiration.

Tami Bayer said...

These are all wonderful Heather. we always do the little chocolate calendar like you niece has in the last post. I remember having those as a kid and love getting one for my kid even though he's taller than me now. It's such a fun tradition. I love the one with the little notes of things to do for your niece. May have to add that one in next year.

V and Co. said...

best of luck in the race for city council!!! ;)and everything else!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails